Results 1 to 4 of 4

Thread: Altec 606 cabinet

  1. #1
    Inactive Member cpbajan's Avatar
    Join Date
    September 30th, 2005
    Posts
    3
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Moving dictated downsizing, so my edgar sub was the last to go. Interested in building a 606 cabinet and installing a Great
    Plains 604 re-make or installing a 416 in same cabinet with a horn loaded 802/902 on top. which would be the better setup. I do not know the volume of the 606, but it looks adequate. Will i be able to get 35Hz out of it? Ideas Welcome

  2. #2
    Senior Hostboard Member GM's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 26th, 2002
    Location
    Chamblee, Ga.
    Posts
    4,967
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    48 Post(s)

    Post

    Greets!

    Considering a smaller room, the 604 is theoretically the better choice, but some folks still prefer a large horn two-way's presentation such as the popular M19's, so it's as much a personal choice as a technical one. Since it's corner loaded, a low Fs 515B or similar would be the better choice if a separate horn is used.

    Regardless, I recommend making a taller version to get the driver up to at least ear height, which obviously will give you more Vb if required in the same floorspace and tuning it lower (smaller vent) since it was optimized for a 50+ Hz Fs driver. In this configuration, 16 Hz is doable if some form of EQ is used.

    GM

  3. #3
    Inactive Member cpbajan's Avatar
    Join Date
    September 30th, 2005
    Posts
    3
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Thanks GM for your comments. I was thinkng of putting some legs on the cabinet to get the driver to ear height, but making it taller and increasing the volume at the same time would be a better idea. Do you know the box volume of the 606. I can't seem to find it anywhere,and with it's unique shape, I can't seem to calculate it exactly.

    lawton

  4. #4
    Senior Hostboard Member GM's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 26th, 2002
    Location
    Chamblee, Ga.
    Posts
    4,967
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    48 Post(s)

    Post

    Greets!

    You're welcome! Since it has 90 deg angles, I broke it up into a rectangle and three triangles that yields ~8 ft^3 less driver as a 'close enough' Vb after allowing for bracing, glue blocks if I did the math right. forums

    GM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
This forum has been viewed: 28131802 times.